[optacon-l] reading computer screens

  • From: <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 06:35:46 -0700

Dan,

You're right; it's hard to read a vertical screen. When I was in technical
writing class for a week, I had to do the same thing. Back in those days, we
were fortunate that we could use those displays. The optacons certainly
opened up a world of careers we never would have had otherwise. I used an
old IBM 3277 terminal for years, then a 3279, and then ended up with an old
monochrome display until Windows 2000 came out; then I inherited a large
CRT. Too bad there weren't any LCD displays at the time. They sure are nice,
and very light! The print on the ones I've used is about as clear as the
print in those optacon training manuals. The cursor blinks, but everything
else stays the same; no pulsing as the image refreshes itself.

Mary