a wish list

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 06:41:26 -0400 (EDT)

One of our listers did some research in the list archives (or personal
files) and came up with the message below which appeared on the list a few
years ago. It compiles most of the wishes expressed in the surveys we are
currently receiving. I am posting it as-is especially for you engineering
and software experts.
Here is the message.
Subject: optacon features

Here's a list of wished-for optacon features which the list
had discussed several years back.

1.  The optacon should be as portable as possible, without
compromising its usefulness and its features.

2.  Some users have suggested a one-handed optacon, whereby the
camera and display would be contained in one hand-held, ergonomic
unit.

3.  The optacon should have user-accessible, user-replaceable,
batteries.

4.  The batteries should be rechargeable, and of an enduring
quality, such as Nickel Metal-Hydride.  NiMH batteries would fit
into an off-the-shelf charger.

5.  The optacon could recharge its batteries.

6.  The optacon should have a daily battery charge to allow for
extended working hours, minimizing the need to change batteries.

7.  The optacon's tactile display should be at least as large,
and as fine in resolution as the R1D's display.  In fact, the
overwhelming agreement is that using the optacon II's display,
with is coarse resolution and its "mushy" feel, would be a
regression.  The users' general rule of thumb to follow is:  the
larger the display, and (not or) the finer the resolution, the
better the display.  A number of users favour a display larger
than that of the R1D.  A larger display would enable the reading
of some graphic displays, while a smaller image can be zoomed in
on, when preferred.

8.  The ergonomic design which allows the user to read with left
or right hands, as with the optacon II, should be retained.

9.  The setting on the optacon II which negates the pulses, felt
on the display when reading monitors, should be retained.

10.  Inverse video mode should be retained.

11.  Threshold adjustment must be more responsive than the optacon
II's; and even more sensitive than the R1D's threshold adjustment.

12.  The camera cable should come from the front of the optacon,
which is not so with the optacon II.  this would improve
portability, and expose the cable to less stress.

13.  The camera cable should be a standard, detachable and
replaceable cable.  Such a cable would lessen turn-around time
for repairs.  Users could have spare cables when needed, and
would not lose the use of our optacons for want of a damaged
camera cable.

14.  A fibre-optic cable was proposed, which would conduct light
images to an internal camera.  this approach would increase cable
and camera durability.  The only power conductors needed would be
for the lights.

15.  Everyone had something to say about the camera, and our need
for greater camera flexibly in order to meet diverse reading
needs.  We all want very wide range of adjustment in camera
focus.  The camera should allow us to enlarge very tiny
characters to make it easier, or even possible, to read.  Some
tiny characters are impossible to read, even with the
magnification lens (which was not adjustable) sold by T.S.I.  In
addition, we need to reduce in size some very large images.

16.  Some users said it would be convenient not to change lenses
as we read, but have the extended zoom range switchable on the
machine or camera, itself; not necessary, but nice.

17.  The optacon should be able to handle a wide variety of
colour contrasts.  It should also be able to handle faint print.
Users on the list defined colour combinations which were hard or
impossible to read.

18.  The optacon should come with a tiny, slim camera or
attachment.  We need the ability to read in some hard-to-reach,
tight places where the standard camera either cannot fit, or
cannot be held flat.  Some specific examples given by users are:
reading labels on various objects; reading displays on small
consumer products such as cellular phones, home entertainment
equipment, measuring instruments; reading the writing on printed-
circuit boards and between their components; reading the tiny
writing and markings on electronics components such as ICs,
diodes, etc; reading the controls on consumer products such as
VCRs, CD players, stereo controls, etc; reading laboratory
instruments.  These specific examples are ones we face virtually
everyday.

19.  The optacon should give us the ability to read a variety of
displays: CRTs, monitors, LCDs of various sizes and strengths,
LEDs, etc.

20.  The optacon should feature bi-directional communication
facilities which interrace with computer-based equipment such as
personal computers, and laboratory equipment.  Serial ports are
still standard for some lab equipment, and USB ports are common
for computers.

21.  Some users debate whether or not to include "image
processing" in a new optacon.  Some users feel that this feature
would make some print easier to read, by thinning lines to the
smallest number of vibratory pixels, and by enhancing fonts, etc.
Other users feel that even if this were an option which can be
switched on and off, the implicit digital approach would
compromise or eliminate the optacon's most valuable asset--its
transparency--its simplicity, What It Sees Is What You Get.

22.  Some users recommend an OCR feature, with high-quality
speech, and an optional, automatic tracking aid.

23.  An optional, automatic tracking aid would fulfil at least
two needs:
(A) It would allow for automatic scanning to occur, whereby the
data can be stored or sent to another device, as with common
scanners;
(B) it would greatly enhance the training of optacon use; help to
lessen the learning curve.

24.  A streamlined, in-built training option would make it easier
for users to learn the optacon, especially since we are spread
throughout the world.  Most often, potentials users do not have
the option to go to a learn centre for training.  The Braille
Blazer is one such example of built-in tutorials.

25.  A multimedia, or multisensory approach could be taken to
help users learn both the optacon, and their letters.  Here is
what one list member writes and he expresses it so well:
"One way to improve the prospects for the Optacon would be to
make it easier to learn how to use.  Other modalities - speech
and large character display - should be integrated for people
with hearing or low vision respectively,
to help them learn the Optacon.  Thus as you scan printed text,
OCR could recognize the letters and speak them out to you, and
the character under your finger could be displayed on a screen.
For most people who become blind, or who are blind and go deaf,
it doesn't happen suddenly, and they should have a chance to
learn the Optacon before completely losing their sight or their
hearing."

26.  For deaf users, any menu-driven functions, or spoken
messages, must be tactually accessible.

27.  The buzzing sound which the optacon makes when the camera
senses a visual contrast is useful when assessing page format.
However, a silent optacon would be useful in settings where the
buzzing is a disturbance.  Therefore, the optacon should have
silent and buzz modes (likely doable using sine and square-wave
array signals respectively).

28.  If the optacon is of a digital, a computer-based design, we-
-the users--must not be removed from our kinaesthetic approach.
Remember, that the information on the display is what we read,
and the information we derive as we move the camera about is
equally important.  The list was overwhelmingly vehement on this
point: the optacon must retain its transparency.  Moving a
tracking ball, or cursor-like camera along a screen of virtual
print is not the same as moving a real camera along a page of
real print, even with a tactile output.  This would be as silly
as believing that using a Braille display is merely tactile
speech with format.  Therefore:

29.  No matter which bells and whistles are added, under no
circumstances should the optacon lose its uniqueness, its main
purpose.  The optacon is truly invaluable because it give
transparent access; What It Sees Is What You Get.  this
transparency, this simplicity of access, is the only single
reason why we would use the optacon.

30.  The optacon should be so equipped as to easily and
conventiently interface with the Windows platform.  The mouse in
such an interface would essentially act as the optacon's camera.
The optacon could be one input/output component as part of a
multimedia work-station.