Re: a wish list

  • From: "eggmann" <eggmann@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 10:56:17 -0500

Looks like a decent list to me and remember folks, were it
possible/practical (economical)to build a device with all the transparency
of the true optacon, newer technology should indeed allow the results to be
available in a final device which should be very much smaller and lighter.
We now have mysterious chips capable of managing tasks such as audio
amplification once requiring entire circuit boards--and way , way back,
things called tubes.  I remember my upgrade board for the total talk PC in
1986 to give me 640K of memory--on reflection, the size and intricacy of the
thing was truly frightening.  Now we're talking 4 GB contained in a device
smaller than my pinkie finger--and affordable too.

Fact is, I imagine, if the old platform is entirely discarded, a totally
portable device, possibly with the tactile array and camera in one unit,
perhaps sliding over the reading finger like a ring with the processing
unit, if necessarily separate, strapping onto the wrist like a watch.
Remember James Bond with the shoe phone?

Doug: available in pocket-sized versions too!

Hi Jerry, good point.
Way back when Jim Bliss was president of TSI, I posed that question, this
was when the original lens were still glass; I dropped the camera a few
times & required a lens replacement, costing $500 each time.
Fortunately, they soon began producing plastic lenses.
The answer to my question of course, was that wireless cameras would add
greatly to the already exorbitant Optacon cost.