[optacon-l] Optacon Preservation Update

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 23:47:39 -0400 (EDT)

It is hard to believe that time goes by so quickly but it does. April of
2009 marks the beginning of our fourth year of work to preserve the
Optacon. During these three years we have accomplished many wonderful
things especially considering two facts: first, we have spent no money.
Second, the Optacon as a device has not been manufactured or distributed
for at least 15 years. We have also learned a lot about the place of the
Optacon in today's environment alongside dozens of other devices that
didn't exist when the Optacon was first purchased by most of its current
users. Most importantly we have countless examples of activities performed
by the Optacon that could not be performed at all by other devices
currently available. We have established that there is still a viable
place for a device that can read print in real time without
interpretation.

As we progress through the next year I hope that we can continue to
promote the value of the Optacon on two levels: first, we want to continue
letting current and former Optacon users know that it is still possible to
have Optacons repaired and that they can still be purchased. Our outreach
has been good but not good enough. By now everyone should know that the
Optacon lives. The second level that we want to continue to work on is the
Optacon's future. In an ideal world it would be possible to create a
modernized Optacon. We have the design talent thanks to our engineers and
dedicated repairers but there are some real questions as to whether the
expense to create a new device could ever be recouped by sales and whether
such a device would be marketable.

It is at this point that we encounter some circular situations. The
technical problems, such as the tactile array design would have to be
conquered before any device, even a prototype, could be created. However,
if the device will never be created, there isn't much point in conquering
the technical problems.

Another circular problem is that we don't know how marketable an
Optacon-like device would be. There is no way of finding that out unless
we know what the device would be able to do--e.g. what additional types of
displays it could read, whether there would be software for computer
screens, etc.

Even confronted by these major obstacles, all is not lost. Many of the
parts of the Optacon have been refabricated thanks to the dedication and
interest of our repairers. Although some material is missing, much of the
documentation and design specifications used for the original Optacon are
still available. If it ever comes to the point where we have to prove the
value of an Optacon-like device, we have many many examples of its
usefulness and descriptions of many situations in which other devices just
did not do the job. We also have testimony proving that persons who were
trained on the Optacon at any time, even if they never owned or purchased
one, would still be able to use one by some committed practice with no
need for retraining. We also have many examples where the Optacon has
substituted for the ordinary way of performing a task and saved people a
lot of problems.

So where should we go from here? Surprise! I can't answer that.

For now I hope that we can continue to reunite more users with Optacons
and keep them working. I also hope that if some technical breaktroughs
occur, that we can find the courage to keep the reading of print in real
time and on all the serfaces where it appears as an option that those who
want it can have.

Lastly, ther is one area we have not delved into very much. We really need
to find out more about the problems experienced by visually impaired
non-Optacon users and give serious consideration to addressing how many of
those the Optacon can solve. For instance, how many blind people have
missed improtant appointments or torn up checks or other important
documents becuse they could not identify for themselves what they were and
had them misidentified by others? Someone just mentioned using a printer
via "blind faith" and how often the results could be a disaster. What we
need to find out is, how many times were the results a disaster and what
embarrassing and humiliating things happened that could have been avoided
if a person could read for themselves. Maybe they do, but I can't picture
any blind person that I know taking the current stack of mail and running
it through the scanner to find out what it is. How do people cope and are
they coping to their own satisfaction or are they just making the best of
it because they see no choice? Anyway, this is one area we need to explore
in more depth. As others have pointed out, not having to read their own
documents gives many blind people the perfect way to pass these
responsibilities on to others. As I said, I don't know how we could obtain
more information. I do find it hard to believe that those experiencing
sight loss related to aging are so very willing to give up all of their
independent functions and to turn their privacy over to others. Maybe this
group has the most potential as a market for a new Optacon.

All things considered, we are doing well and we will continue to remind
the world that the Optacon lives and that it should live.

Catherine