Re: How would this work? was a wish list

  • From: "eggmann" <eggmann@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 10:35:23 -0500

Seems to me that having the tactile display under the same hand as the
camera would only add to the direct contact with the print, much like
Braille.  I do agree that there might be a problem of bulk.  While I
strongly suspect that one chip could likely take care of the total circuitry
currently contained in our present models, perhaps the downsizing of the
actuators for the display may not be realistically possible.  And that,
gentle readers, seems to be the sticking point--it's the actual mechanical
parts which would necessitate some bulk; thus we are still needing a
two-handed situation for reasons of utility.

Give that is the case, the total unit, it seems to me, might be about the
size of a bookport.

Just a not for the ways in which I often use my optacon--I think that an
advantage of the pre-canon models was that the hand went inside the unit.
So, I could actually lift up my left hand and move the optacon say, across
the top of several side by side filing cabinets while manipulating the
camera.  I think I'm not saying what I mean as well as I would like but
feedback may improve what I meant, perhaps not what I said.

Doug: "  Me?  Scrambled Eggs?
I'm having trouble picturing the logistics of the one-handed Optacon. The
only picture I can come up with is that the camera and the array would be
one unit so we would only have one piece to hold onto. I think the device
would still take two hands to operate because we couldn't track and read
with the same hand, could we? The other question: I have trouble fitting
the camera into tight places now. If it were somehow bigger because it had
the array as a part of it, how could it fit anywhere? This is not a
criticism of the idea. I just can't figure out how this works.
Catherine