[optacon-l] Re: Active Optacons

  • From: "John Huffman" <j.huffman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 21:20:55 -0500

In an earlier post on this thread, I said that I have two working Optacons.

To "extend my remarks," I keep my treasured R-1-D model at home to do the
historical and other reading that captures my heart.

I keep the less favored and more trouble-prone Optacon II at work, partly
because it satisfies my needs there, and partly because this gives me the
R-1-D as a backup whenever the Model II has to be sent off to the body shop.

Although I've never had a problem I could directly relate to commuting, the
idea of avoiding those stresses and strains became more appealing as our
Optacons became increasingly an endangered species.  My particular Model II
has also seemed to be most vulnerable in areas related to its camera cable
and connections at both ends, so it always seemed a good idea to minimize
these risks by keeping it in a situation where the camera had to be stowed
and unstowed as seldom as possible.

This Optacon has recently seen some physical damage to the retina housing
which makes it look as if the thing shouldn't be working at all.  Actually
though, it's working better now than for quite awhile.  But I know it's
living on borrowed time, and another trip to the repair shop is inevitable.

Regards all, JH