[opendtv] Re: its a wifi world - Re: Re: Twang's

  • From: "John Willkie" <jmwillkie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:36:13 -0700

What's to keep you?  Well, content.  Aside from legalese, you need access to
the content.  You can't lawfully retransmit ota DTV content EVEN WITH
PERMISSION.  If you try to transmit ATV content, you will in short order be
sued by multiple parties, including, but not limited, to the Motion Picture
Association of America.

What are you going to show?  Home movies? I sure hope you have model
releases.  If you're showing professional content, you'll get sued for
copyright infringement, and -- it is likely -- you and your customers will
be INDICTED criminally for conspiracy to violate copyrights.

If you know of a way, in your legalese, to make somebody else pay your
criminal fines and to serve time in jail for you, I'd love to see it.
(Hint: a contract to violate public policy is null and void.)  And, the
moment a judgement is entered against one of your co-conspirators, they end
up losing their house because homeowner's insurance (all insurance) does not
cover deliberate acts by the policyholder.  You end up being settlement
bait, and you end up being made an example.

Your technical arguments are beyond my ken.

However, is it unlawful to "steal" service from an unlocked access point?
I'd say that the law is currently vague on that point: there's no entering
per se, there's no breaking per se, and there's no DMCA circumvention since
the service was not protected by password or encryption.  Sui generis: new
law.

Amoral, sure.  Civil or criminal offense: time will tell.