[opendtv] Re: its a wifi world - Re: Re: Twang's

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:47:41 -0400

At 8:36 AM -0700 4/27/04, John Willkie wrote:
>However, is it unlawful to "steal" service from an unlocked access point?
>I'd say that the law is currently vague on that point: there's no entering
>per se, there's no breaking per se, and there's no DMCA circumvention since
>the service was not protected by password or encryption.  Sui generis: new
>law.
>
>Amoral, sure.  Civil or criminal offense: time will tell.

If you really want to talk about stealing of service...

It is common place for students here in Gainesville, and elsewhere
for that matter, to subscribe to cable modem service in one
apartment, and then split the cost among multiple uses in different
apartments - WiFi is the technology that makes this easy to do and
difficult to shut down.

By the way.

At NAB there was tons of content that is unrelated to the stuff John
seems obsessed with. Entertainment is not the be all and end all.
Digital signage was proliferating everywhere. And guess what...it's
all HD resolution and beyond.

The big news from Panasonic was P2. But the big win for Panasonic was
the realization of years of work developing partnerships with
companies like Apple. At the opposite end of the booth from the P2
display area was an area dedicated to digital signage and affordable
access to HD. Ironically, all of the stuff at this end of the booth
is deliverable today using off the shelf products from Apple and
Panasonic. This business has the potential to dwarf revenues from
broadcast products in a few years. Now Panasonic needs to get the
story out.

Where will people turn for information about this "news."

Certainly not to a broadcast TV station. They will bypass the
gatekeepers and go directly to the source for their information,
news, etc. Panasonic screwed up. They handed out the obligatory press
kits and had it all on display in the booth. But there is virtually
no way to find out about this stuff on their web site or the NAB
press website.

It's sad that we are trying to force the same limitations that exist
for analog TV broadcasting onto DTV broadcasting. There is  SOOOOOOO
much more to the world we live in than sitcoms and episodic dramas.