[opendtv] Re: its a wifi world - Re: Re: Twang's

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:09:21 -0400

Now let's look at this in a more rational way.

If we look at this from the perspective of a network of networks, the
consumer will use a variety of services to capture digital bits and
to handle two-way transactional services. From this perspective, WiFi
could be the PERFECT back channel for digital broadcast services.

The problem is not that one infrastructure will obsolete another. The
problem is using the infrastructure in a complementary manner so as
to facilitate the goal of providing the services people want,
anywhere, anytime.

That can't happen until the entrenched services, protected by
political franchises and legislation, are forced to compete in an
open marketplace.