[opendtv] Re: its a wifi world - Re: Re: Twang's

  • From: "jmwillkie@xxxxxxx" <jmwillkie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>,opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:41:06 -0700 (PDT)

Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> writes: (in part)

Sorry, but my BS detector went into overdrive on this:

>Yes the old model still works. It is still one of the most lucrative
>franchises ever granted by a government, and it is protected  from
>the rigors of competition.

This is unmitigated crap.  Broadcasting is the most powerful and useful
information/entertainment service USED BY CITIZENS.  It is not protected
from competition:  the competition is severe:  cable, satellite, ITFS,
wireless, broadband.  The FCC adds TV stations to the list all the time:
THIS INCREASES COMPETITION.  In the U.S., the UHF channels freed by the DTV
transition will also be used, in some respect, to compete with
broadcasting.

The most lucrative franchise ever granted by government is the local natural
gas franchises granted around the nation.  You don't EVEN HAVE A CLUE about
the costs, but you pay the bill blindly, month after month.  Let me know
when you have a choice of natural gas suppliers.