[opendtv] Re: Will Digital Passthru Effect Digital Tier Subscription?

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 12:23:03 -0700

Hollywierd makes higher quality programming than:

Cable tv companies;
Bollywood;
German TV;
IPTV firms;
Local TV stations;
Mexican broadcasters;
"anybody" with a camcorder

To name just a few.

Let's penalize them, and make Hollywierd produce at the level of anybody
with a camcorder, or forbid them from distributing programming on affiliated
networks and TV stations.

Your cures are CONSISTENTLY worse than the imputed "problems" you rail
against.

"Free TV broadcasts" are used EXCLUSIVELY by 15% of the population, and they
are at least 40% of the content watched by the other 85% of the population.

Many local broadcast stations are worth MORE than many of those national
cable TV networks that you trumpet.  Must be a market distortion, eh?

More money is spent on porn than on cable TV.  Porn's "problem" lies in
distribution.  Porn distos can't afford to buy cable tv systems, but they
can buy TV stations or LPTV stations.  I tend to think that the "highest and
best" use of an asset, in the long run, is the use that dominates.

Porn folk distribute -- themselves or through sales agents -- extensive
content on Usenet to 'pimp' sales of their DVD's -- by mail order.  OTA
freebies would be so much better; you could even wrap it up with an
ACAP/OCAP application for online ordering.

They could do this within current rules, by the way.  All they have to do is
to limit the adult content to 10p.m. to 6a.m.  (Unless I'm missing some
subtlety in the difference between the Federal court rulings of "indecency"
versus the one that applies to the FCC.)  Which is possible, but doubtful.

I guess that 'just' 8 hours a day isn't enough for them.  However, those
hours might be prime time for porn.

John Willkie