[opendtv] Re: Will Digital Passthru Effect Digital Tier Subscription?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 15:06:38 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> I think all of this comes down to what you think
>> constitutes acceptable intrusion by govt. Evidently,
>> you don't mind if govt butts in to decide how a
>> business can package its product, but you do mind
>> very much when govt butts in to tell that business
>> that it must continue to serve its analog customers
>> after analog OTA shutoff.
>
> Wrong.
>
> Get the government out of the telecommunications
> business and treat the spectrum like a real market,
> and all of these market distortions will disappear
> quickly.

Again, it is the cable companies themselves that prefer to offer a
limited number of subscription packages, not the govt forcing them to.
Getting the govt out would certainly not help your cause.

Besides which, whether "the govt" or some othere entity operates as the
"spectrum utility," someone is going to be doing some amount of gate
keeping. If you let pure market forces do that, then your other mantra,
the one where you want to give access to the starving artists, will most
likely suffer even more.

I find these arguments to be internally inconsistent. Even the business
about the Sunday paper, where the option suggested is not to buy it at
all and just read the free on-line version. So, equivalently, don't
subscribe to cable. Watch the OTA offerings instead. Done.