[opendtv] Re: Will Digital Passthru Effect Digital Tier Subscription?

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:52:51 -0400

johnwillkie wrote:
> Simple, declarative sentences move balls and score points.  The passive
> voice is often a way to ask a question but making it seem as a statement;
> it's a way of cloaking.

Probably all true as far as respected style in our culture. I think it reflects the military philosophy of "stand up and be a man", standing erect, sticking your chest out assertively, and generally stating you are willing to fight to show you are a dominant alpha male primate.

Facts are stated with assured confidence and the threat of retaliation if challenged.

And that is all well and good. However there is also wisdom of "choose your battles wisely". In casual conversation I feel it is sometimes better to state things softly and only be willing to fight over the important issues. Sorry if this annoys you to the extent you feel I must be trained in a different mode. Try not to feel embarrassed for me since I choose to do it on purpose and feel it works for me.

Rest assured I can defend myself as needed, in my own style.

- Tom

Cable cannot encrypt broadcast signals under current laws and regulations,
but some are reserving this "right" in retrans negotiations.

Broadcasters can encrypt their signals.  So, combine a broadcaster
encrypting all but their main video program with the "hoped" requirement for
cable to carry the entire transport stream.
Now, have the broadcasters work together in one or more markets to use this
ability to create a package of premium services that are available in
broadcast-only and cabled homes.

Passive voice doesn't convey information, just attitude.  When reporters say
"observers noted" they mean "my friends, fellow reporters and other drinking
buddies".

Simple, declarative sentences move balls and score points.  The passive
voice is often a way to ask a question but making it seem as a statement;
it's a way of cloaking.
 See: Strunk and White (actually Strunk as modified by White) "Elements of
Style."  And, Zinsser "On Writing Well."

John Willkie