[opendtv] Re: USDTV demos at NAB

  • From: "Kon" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:13:35 -0700

The PBS tech conference was host to a laptop w/BBTI datacasting demo from
channel 11 on black mountain. A BBTI (used to be B2C2) brick was used, and
the demo was set up in the MGM at a film-protected window pointing south,
but with a diagonal view of black mountain. SpectraRep gave a demo using a
small dual element antenna that must have come from a Motel 6 in the 1960's.
No reception with those bunny ears pointing upwards, so I just laid them
horizontal, elevated the antenna to a chair (away from the ground!), and
pointed them right at black mountain. Chaching, 80% signal strength.
Unfortunately, packets were lost left right and center due to multipath, but
the KenCast ECC repaired all the files (see, a use for datacasting after
all). The other datacasting vendor's system was not so lucky -- to the point
of not even seeing any pipe, let alone data. What can I say, Kenny kicks
butt.

I won't mention the other boards in this thread - we had extremely bad luck
with them at NAB2001, 2, and 3, and they served as demo pieces for the most
part.

Cheers
Kon