[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:00:09 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Mark Schubin wrote:
>

>>>is it possible anyone can still think that DVB-T would
>>>have made a difference?
>>>

>>Sure!
>>
>>As I've mentioned before, LG's lack of set-top action
>>could conceivably be attributed to the "face" issue
>>associated with their having developed 8-VSB and not
>>wanting to look like the only ones who can make it work.
>>

>Well, interesting a hypothesis as that might be, it doesn't
>explain why LG doesn't sell its best working solution to
>other OEMs, or why other companies (Micronas, ST, Samsung,
>etc.) aren't blasting the message that they have good up
>to date boxes for sale at a zillion stores across the US.
>

>>So, does this have anything to do with the modulation
>>technique?  In terms of technology, I don't think so.
>>But in many other terms, I do.
>>
>>Broadcasters can promote DVB-T STBs because they were
>>comfortable that they worked from the outset.  Even CEA
>>effectively said first-generation U.S. STBs were
>>essentially useless.
>>

>Okay, so from the broadcasters perspective, they had reason
>to be leary back before, say, 2003/2004. What has their
>excuse been since then?
>
>Once again, I understood these excuses back before
>2003/2004. What I don't understand is why we are still
>using these excuses as the reason today. I was expecting
>that the 4th/5th gen products would have changed the
>landscape, and all I see is as if everything were frozen
>in time in 1999.
>

>>And salespeople know that when they stick an antenna feed
>>into a TV in their city-based stores, they get pictures,
>>whatever else they may or may not know.  It is still very
>>rare to find a U.S. retailer with a DTT feed, and,
>>frankly, I don't blame them.
>>

>I wouldn't underestimate what the European TV retailer has
>to do to get that signal in his store, at their lower power
>levels, or to get a useful in the customer premises.
>Professional TV antenna installations are the norm over
>there, *even* in downtown residences.
>
>Bert

Where do you read that it is the norm?

Even if it was the reality is that with an antenna they can get rock
solid reception. No if ands or buts. No store in NYC can do that that I
am aware of .

I was in a Radio Shack store in Michigan recenlty. They should be awash
with DTV receivers. They had none. And they could not get reception of
nearby broadcasters. Such a store in the UK this time of year would have
receivers stacked all over the place.

Bob Miller

Bob Miller