[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:16:50 -0500

Didn't foreclose any changes to DVB-T to make it more compatible with
the US nor am I married to DVB-T and would welcome anything that worked
based on COFDM or even 8-VSB.

But it has been true for the last six years at least the we would have
been better off taking whatever DVB-T had to offer and making it work in
the US. That is after all what we are doing now but trying to do it
within the straight-jacket of 8-VSB and legacy receivers.

And that has been true for every minute of the last six years including
today. The best thing we could do today would be to switch to a COFDM
based modulation and MPEG4 IMO.

After all how long must we stick with any modulation? Is there a set
number of years before we can transition again? Do we have to wait fifty
years because of some convention?

As to the "operating fundamentals or realities of U.S. broadcasting"
they are a changin in more ways than one. They better look to having the
best tools at least. They sure don't now.

The ATSC is considering "fixing" 8-VSB even TODAY to make it more
DVB-T/H like. It would be easier to switch.

Bob Miller