[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 13:43:07 -0800

Bert wrote:
>I wouldn't underestimate what the European TV retailer has
>to do to get that signal in his store, at their lower power
>levels, or to get a useful in the customer premises.
>Professional TV antenna installations are the norm over
>there, *even* in downtown residences.
About four to five years ago I dropped into a London Pub for lunch and saw
first hand a repeat performance of the COFDM systems robustness I  witnessed
during the Sinclair demonstrations. This pub is located adjacent to and
almost under, the major multi track train trestle feeding Charring Cross
station and is also surrounded by substantial buildings and moving train and
other vehicular traffic. There clearly was no direct signal from the
transmission site but, using a Silver Sensor antenna mounted atop the STB,
the COFDM reception was almost flawless*.
This report is anecdotal in nature and it is possible that the LG equipment
used at Marks apartment could achieve similar results from 8VSB signals at
that very difficult location. However my point is: the COFDM receiver was
first generation off the shelf hardware while the LG unit is not available
to consumers at any location at any price.
 * As I recall, minor very short-term pixilation was observed twice in a
period of about 45 minutes.