[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:25:01 -0500

"Cheers!" on that one mate!

S J Birkill wrote:

>I'm sorry, but I must step in and inject a chord of reality into the
>speculations in this list about European, and specifically UK, DTT. We may
>be across an ocean from ATSC-land, but we're not on Mars, and the facts are
>on record:
>
>1. Analog TV in the UK is neither exclusively nor even predominantly low
>power or local. The first level of coverage, the UHF main stations, have
>typically a pair of 40kW PSP transmitters per service, combining with three
>or four other services into a usually omnidirectional HRP antenna, giving
>500kW or 1MW ERP per channel. The original (1960s) main stations are
>located close to major population centres (London, Birmingham, Cardiff,
>Manchester, Newcastle etc.) with an average spacing between stations of
>some 80 miles. They serve by far the majority of the country's population.
>The second layer fills the gaps: these transmitters are generally located
>in rural areas rather than close to any one major city (Heathfield,
>Hannington, Sudbury, Sandy Heath, Waltham, Bilsdale etc.) They are also in
>the 500kW class, at intervals of about 50 miles.
>
>Only after that do we get down to the relay stations, with power levels
>anywhere from a handful of watts up to 10kW. Unlike much of the USA, where
>cities are on the plains or in wide basins, the UK's history has placed
>settlements preferentially in valley locations, often shielded by steep
>hillsides from geographically distant main stations. Western and northern
>parts of England, and most of Wales and Scotland in particular, are
>difficult to serve from main stations, and are littered with low power
>transposer sites, each serving its own small pocket of population. Even
>some sizeable UK cities (Sheffield, Bristol) are notoriously hilly and are
>covered, according to local topography, by a combination of distant main
>stations and local relays. Here in Sheffield for instance, antennas can be
>seen pointing not only to the local high power station (Emley Moor, 20
>miles) but also to those in adjacent regions (Belmont, 55 miles; Waltham,
>45 miles), as well as to the local relays.
>
>So it is not at all unusual for fixed (rooftop) antennas to receive their
>TV over a path in excess of 40 miles, and in places as much as 70 miles. In
>the low-rise city suburbs set-top antenna use is widespread, though 'main
>set' installations in private houses generally use rooftop or loft-space
>yagis, not so much because of low field strengths as to overcome multipath
>or co-channel. Of course the UK differs from continental Europe in that
>apartment-dwelling (and with it the communal antenna system) is not so
>widespread here, outside the inner-city areas.
>
>2. Digital TV uses the very same transmitting stations, but at an ERP (per
>mux) nominally 20dB (pending analog switch-off) below the analog peak sync
>value. So the signal paths and service areas are essentially the same.
> [...]

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><

===================================
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
Text PAGE: page.maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
HTML PAGE: 4436774425@xxxxxxxxxx
www.newscentral.tv
www.sbgi.net
===================================

If mankind were to resolve to agree
in no institution of government,
until every part of it had been
adjusted to the most exact standard
of perfection, society would soon
become a general scene of anarchy,
and the world a desert.

~ ~ ~ Alexander Hamilton ~ ~ ~

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain
confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this
email message is addressed.  If you have received this email message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and
destroy the original message without making a copy.  Thank you.