[opendtv] Re: Shifting Online, Netflix Faces New Competition

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 07:09:28 -0400

That can change. So I don't put a lot of weight in this one issue. I think that for the time being, owners of VALUABLE content are still leary about making their stuff available over the Internet. To me, that is the main reason why DBS, cable, and FiOS "broadcast only" bandwidth is still being used, and why OTA will soldier on. It's the flexibility of computers that makes valuable content owners pause, I think.

Yes, the security of a walled garden IS a factor, but the real reason these distribution pipes dominate is that they can force subscribers to pay for bundles and all of the subscriber fees associated with these bundles. The media congloms are living in fear of any distribution platform that gives the consumer "ala carte" access to content.

 Companies like Apple,

Actually, it was specifically Apple that introduced a scheme that can't use UDP, which makes it incompatible with this simultaneous large scale distribution.

Clearly, Apple is not trying to compete with mass distribution platforms. For now they are folling the path suggested by John - provide a complimentary service to the MVPDs, and yes OTA for those who refuse to pay the high monthly toll for an MVPD service.