[opendtv] Re: Shifting Online, Netflix Faces New Competition

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:13:39 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> As for the limitations of the Internet to deliver events to mass
> audiences, I think the problem is overstated. The problem is when
> everyone wants to watch something different, not when millions want
> to watch the same program.

You're probably right that the problem is overstated, but it's still difficult
to send the same program simultaneously to millions.

In order to provide the content to millions simultaneously, you need to use IP
Multicast. But many ISPs see no good reason to deploy IP multicast in their
networks, and between ISP nets, it's even mor rare.

That can change. So I don't put a lot of weight in this one issue. I think that
for the time being, owners of VALUABLE content are still leary about making
their stuff available over the Internet. To me, that is the main reason why
DBS, cable, and FiOS "broadcast only" bandwidth is still being used, and why
OTA will soldier on. It's the flexibility of computers that makes valuable
content owners pause, I think.

> Companies like Apple,

Actually, it was specifically Apple that introduced a scheme that can't use
UDP, which makes it incompatible with this simultaneous large scale
distribution.

> The real issue remains how content distributors can gain access to
> the compelling content...

Yup.