[opendtv] Re: Shifting Online, Netflix Faces New Competition

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:00:52 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It's still an issue of control. The Hollywood moguls are trying
> desperately to keep from being "Napsterized," and to keep us paying
> far more than there content is worth.

One of the problems is, you keep bouncing back and forth from a discussion on
the technical aspects of removing the constraints of "by appointment TV" to the
"content rights" or "volume of content" arguments.

So let's try again.

The article you posted proves that the content in the cloud also has
constraints. Just as the casual, plain jane PVR owner MAY forget to record a
show he intended to record, this Internet cloud that you put so much faith in
may not have that content either. So in fact, not all that different, in the
end.

> I'd go a step further and say the war will be won by those content
> creators who are courageous enough to go directly to "the cloud" and
> bypass the studios.

And guess what, Craig. The minute any of these producers becomes noticed, the
minute their content becomes desirable, they too will play games with
transmission rights. It's not like the studio moguls are aliens from outer
space. They are a product of their industry.