[opendtv] Re: Receiver costs too expensive in the Brazilian DTV system:

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:52:38 -0400

Bert,

I agree that no matter what compression scheme is used, be it MPEG2, MPEG4, or some great new invention yet to see the light of day. No matter what scheme is used there will be a program director that will try to squeeze in "just one more channel" and as a result bit starve them all.

We could make fantastic NTSC with 18 Mbps MPEG-2. We could make decent HD with 18 Mbps MPEG-2 @ 720p59.94.

Instead, we do an HD and 3 SDs, and all four are bit starved pieces of macroblocks.

I suppose you get used to it, but I have a hard time watching DBS for the same reason - nonstop macroblocking at every dissolve and fast pan.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

So you agree that Cliff's issues are with MPEG-2 compression?