[opendtv] Re: Receiver costs too expensive in the Brazilian DTV system:

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:23:30 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> I think you guys continue to overstate the H.264
>> "advantage...
>
> Personally I think that the advantage is understated.

There seems to be a general misconception that H.264 provides some sort
of quantum leap in how a TV multiplex can be organized. It does not. At
the bit rates and image quality levels expected for SD and HD
television, what you can do with H.264 you can also do with H.262,
although marginally better. Meaning, it's not that you CANNOT fit (for
example) two 1080i programs in a 19 Mb/s channel with MPEG-2
compression. It's that doing so with H.262 will create some amount of
additional glitches or artifacts, or slightly softer images, compared
with H.264. And a panel of judges will notice the difference.

This should not be confused with "it can't be done with MPEG-2
compression." It's not all or nothing. It's shades of gray. We have seen
proof enough of this already, in real systems.

> ANY COUNTRY that has not launched a DTV service would be
> derelict in their responsibilities to limit a DTV system
> to MPEG-2.

Obviously, any clean sheet design should start with the most advanced
tools available. But in the case of Brazil, it's not like they are going
to add content to H.264, so this is not instrumental to their social
agenda.

> Aparently Bert has learned NOTHING by observing the way
> the Internet proliferates software based technologies.
> DTV should be no different.

Always trying to get beyond the hype and the religious mantra.