[opendtv] Re: Receiver costs too expensive in the Brazilian DTV system:

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:14:40 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Bert has correctly identified the problem "he" is having
> relative to the visibility of compression artifacts. He is
> watching all this digital stuff on a screen that is incapable
> of resolving all of the detail (and artifacts) at ANY viewing
> distance.

Sorry, but that makes no sense, Craig.

If I am watching a 1024 X 768 dislay right up close, I should be able to
see *any* artifact that any other 1024 X 768 display can resolve.

More precisely, if I'm standing 2' from a 26" screen, as I was last
night, that is equivalent to someone sitting 3.2' from a 42" 1024 X 768
screen. And plasmas of that size and resolution have been and are
commonplace. LCDs too, more recently, although they tend to be 1366 X
768 now.

I would agree with you only if I had been using S-video or composite
video interfaces between STB and display. *That* would have made many of
the artifacts undetectable. But I am using component interfaces. So the
bandwidth is there.

>> I think it is about both. People are demanding and will
>> continue to demand better quality simply because they are
>> buying plasmas and LCDs in droves, in sizes far bigger than
>> their old CRTs. And I, for one, welcome the greater choice
>> as well.
>
> This may well drive the demand for more HD programming, but
> it is doing NOTHING to improve delivered image quality.

I'm simply saying that competition is what will prevent image quality
from degrading too much. It is, for example, why DBS is adding so much
HD capacity to their systems.