[opendtv] Re: Receiver costs too expensive in the Brazilian DTV system:

  • From: flyback1 <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:53:05 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
 At the bit rates and image quality levels expected for SD and HD
television, what you can do with H.264 you can also do with H.262,
although marginally better. Meaning, it's not that you CANNOT fit (for
example) two 1080i programs in a 19 Mb/s channel with MPEG-2
compression. It's that doing so with H.262 will create some amount of
additional glitches or artifacts, or slightly softer images, compared
with H.264. And a panel of judges will notice the difference.

This should not be confused with "it can't be done with MPEG-2
compression." It's not all or nothing. It's shades of gray.
Horse Pucky.
ADDITIONAL GLITCHES OR ARTIFACTS or SLIGHTLY SOFTER IMAGES = H.262 DOESN'T WORK! I have yet to see the perfect, pristine images we have been promised by DTV for more than 10 years.