[opendtv] Re: Quirks on the ATSC STBs

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:45:16 -0700

Dan;

I would offer that not buying and using a real DTV set, in favor of a
cheesebox, isn't "keeping up with state-of-the-technology."

Another, more robust work-around to this issue is to buy a $80 dtv/usb tuner
"dongle", put it into a computer with a nice big hard-drive, and display
HDTV signals on a monitor.  Record to your heart's content, and burn
anything you want to DVD.  Total cost, assuming you have a computer, big
harddrive and DVD burner and monitor, is less than $100.

There are quite a few solutions out there (MythTv, etc) that aren't ready to
be sold at Best Buy but which provide all the functionality that you will
want, and features are continually being added.

And, I do think you are talking about a coupon eligible DTV converter box,
not an ATSC STB.  STBs generally provide more than a NTSC output.

John Willkie

  _____