[opendtv] Re: Quirks on the ATSC STBs

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:37:21 -0700

Dan;

It's highly unlikely that any DVD recorder (as a stand-alone product or even
a computer component) will adhere to the broadcast flag, but caveat emptor.

Once again - I tire of repeating this - the "broadcast flag" just says "you
can't redistribute this content" not you can't record it.  And, the
broadcast flag is not required to even be adhered to.

CGMS-A (in analog captions) does provide for copy once/copy never/copy all.
But, that isn't the broadcast flag, and adherence is a matter of agreement
by the vendor/maker.

C'mon Dan, you're an engineer and not an idiot; why are you retaining memes
that are in error?  You are beginning to sound like a technophobe. (I've met
technical writers that were actually technophobes.)

John Willkie

  _____