[opendtv] Quirks on the ATSC STBs

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:25:12 -0700

I'm not sure what stops the DVD/HD recorder from recording some sporting
events.  Perhaps it is not the Broadcast Flag and is CGMS-A, even though
DVD recorder uses the term Broadcast Flag in the message.  But it will not
record, none-the-less.

I might be an engineer, but I'm no expert in ATSC.  I wish I had time to
become one, but since I do not have a transmitter, I have other things to
focus on at present and look to folks like you to set me straight.

I'm certainly not a technophobe by any means and in fact very much enjoy
experimenting keeping up with the state-of-the-technology.  However,
sometimes I must experience it through message boards like these as I do
not have the budget to get every new gadget and advancement and neither
does my work.  So again, I must learn through others.

Actually, I offer my insight, such as the quirks I discovered with the
ATSC STB, only to provide insight to those that must submit to the same
fate as I, i.e., rely on OTA and keep the old VCR and tube TV until which
I can afford something new.

Dan