[opendtv] Quirks on the ATSC STBs

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:21:01 -0700

I noticed a few quirks about the Digital Stream ATSC STB. The most recent
one that got me was that while using it to tune into a sporting event  and
taping it on my VCR, the auto shutoff engaged about 5 hours later.  This
left me without the end of the event.  I had even turned my box on after
the event had started it's broadcast.  So now, not only can I not program
the channel I need to record on my VCR, I also have a limit to my record
time.  So on a practical standpoint, the STB is really only for live
watching.  (This again points me to the need to buy a DVD recorder, which
may or may not record due to the Broadcast flag.)

Another quirk is the fact that it needs power to pass an RF signal, even
though this model has analog pass-through.  To get analog pass-through,
one uses the remote to switch to analog.  So the analog pass-through is
obviously not a relay (not that I expected one).

Dan