[opendtv] Re: Popular screen aspect ratios

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 19:14:57 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The decoder DOES know how wide and how high, and how to stuff
> this into a 16:9 output.

Are you for real?

Yes, Craig, the decoder *would* know *if* something tells it that 16:9 is what
it's going to. Quit the circular arguments, will you? If your screen happens to
be 2:1, something has to tell that to the decoder, Craig. Just saying that
"widescreen" means DTV makes no sense. A specific ratio has to be signaled to
the decoder.

> I have had both 4:3 and 16:9 Digital TVs; for both the cable
> box setting is the same;

Well, Craig, then figure out how this can be. Don't assume magic. Don't assume
that the deocder knows something occurring downstream, unless it is told
somehow. For insdtance, are you using a digital interface?

> Rubbish. The underlying MPEG-2 standard has everything necessary

Aren't we lucky you don't actually design anything, then.

> The decoder DOES NOT need to know what the screen aspect ratio
> is. it simply needs a known way to present samples to the display
> processor. With a bit of intelligence it would be easy to have the
> decoder and display processor communicate and handle ANY format,

Tell that to Cliff.

"With a little bit of intelligence," is your leap of faith. First, figure out
how it wortks. Then, explain it clearly. A display processor that is simply fed
an analog voltage for the scanning lines, and the same time duration for each
line, will not have a whole lot to go on, Craig.

This is not very difficult to understand.