[opendtv] Re: Popular screen aspect ratios

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 17:10:22 -0600

Jeroen Stessen wrote:

> Sigh...  16:9 is so passé !
>
> Every cinema lover needs one of these:

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/cinema-21-9/30849/cat/

> Here's a very favorable review:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/philips-cinema-21-9-platinum-58pfl9955h--906697/review

4000 pounds sterling!? Jeroen! And, horror of horrors, no HD DVB-T integrated
receiver?

It appears to be a 2.37:1 ratio, actually. Even if 2560 X 1080, or 1700 X 720,
are not on the radar as possible future DTV transmission formats, it would be
nice if we could hope for an eventual anamorphic squeeze on transmission, for a
2.35:1 aspect ratio display? Otherwise, it's like I do now when I zoom into
letterboxed + pillarboxed programs. Not as satisfying as it should be.

My TV has what they call "zoom 2" mode. Zoom 1 is for filling the screen with
16:9 material transmitted as unsqueezed SD. I discovered that zoom 2 does a
decent job of zooming in on 2.35:1 movies, but not all the way. No image
distortion, all it seems to do is crop slightly the left and right, to reduce
the width of the black bars top and bottom to something unobnoxious.

How about a similar set, priced for mere mortals, with built-in HD receiver?
ATSC, naturally. Hey, if Philips could justify incorporating an NTSC tuner into
this beast, my mind can't grasp why ATSC wasn't there too.

Merry Christmas!