[opendtv] Re: Popular screen aspect ratios

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:36:20 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

 When you weren't looking, PC monitors have all migrated to 16:9. I
 recently had to replace my monitor, and couldn't even find a 16:10
 at the store.

No kidding? Last time I looked through the Best Buy web site, the computer monitors were almost all 16:10. That's great new, John. I'm a little more confident now that my new PC under the Chrismas tree, and still wrapped until Christmas, will indeed have a 1366 X 768 setting in its graphics card. Like the Dell guys claimed when I ordered it.

Graphics cards can scale almost anything to fill a display. The limiting factor is the actual screen resolution and aspect ratio. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between 1366 x 768 scaled to 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200.