[opendtv] Re: Nine ways Apple, Inc. just changed the landscape of consumer electronics

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:49:59 -0800

You're a real laff riot.  iPhone redefined the smartphone category?  There's
this little Chinese-only product that will do that.  It enables you to make
cell phone calls when no WiFi is available, but to use WiFi for VOIP when
you're within WiFi range.  A customer of mine has been using it for months.
It's not available in the U.S. yet; he paid almost as much for shipping as
the phone.

By the way, on this list within the last two years, I said what the IPod
needed was a cellphone built in.   Other manufacturers have offered such for
more than a year.

I'd put it that Apple gave iPod users the only real -- stretch -- reason to
upgrade again, and to pay once again for the music they already own.  Or,
did they somehow solve the issue that you can't move your FairPlay licensed
music content from one unit to another?

I have a bass-ackwards relative who has three separate music libraries on
three iPods.  As much as he likes the product (having spent more than 2
grand on them) he has bought his last one, since the music libraries cost
more than the hardware.

Ever tried to 'repair' an iPod?  He's spent almost as much on 'repairs' as
hardware.

What's happening here is the serious onset of the disposable culture.  Buy
an iPod, buy the music.  Next year, buy another IPod, buy the music again.
Wedding the Ipod to AT&T?  People HATE their cellphone company.  Change your
cellphone company, revert from the iPhone to an iPod, and buy your music
again.

If only Zune had a cellphone in addition to the FM radio ...  (And didn't
wed me to a cellphone vendor.)

I'm leaning toward the Treo with video that doesn't come with a cell service
vendor/subsidy lock.

John Willkie