[opendtv] Re: Nine ways Apple, Inc. just changed the landscape of consumer electronics

  • From: John Golitsis <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 10:24:31 -0500

Most of the staff here do in fact have Macs at home, but like I said, for those who have PCs at home, they are constantly complaining about their Mac at the office. I have both systems on my desk and use the Mac 90% of the time, but that's not because I prefer it. There are certainly some nice things about Mac but overall, it's a wash and I could probably live with either. Buying a Mac that can run both OSs certainly does have it's attraction on first blush, but when you think about it, why would a PC owner want to run Mac OS? I can understand why a Mac owner would want to run Windows, but there are very few apps that are Mac-only with no real PC equivalents.

I should mention too that in the last year, the Macs at work have had system crashes FAR more frequently than I've ever experienced with XP. The crashes seem to have been fixed over time with system updates, but there was a time there when my G5 crashed at least 3 times a week. Mac owners who claim their systems never crash remind me of Honda owners who claim nothing ever breaks on their cars....it's all urban legend!

On 13-Jan-07, at 8:55 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:

At 9:34 AM -0500 1/12/07, John Golitsis wrote:

I cannot speculate about the reasons that your staff seem to prefer their PCs over the Macs. I could infer something about the people you hire, but...

;-)

For what it is worth, there seems to have been something about the way that TV engineer brains are wired that steered them to the PC, while the creative types moved to the Mac. One thing is certainly true. Windows NT provided a stable and relatively easy to program platform for technical control applications. You won't find may Macs in the backroom operations of a TV station.

But all of that is history now. If an application is only available, or runs best on a PC, just do it. With OS-X you can run Bootcamp, although Parallels seems to be the software of choice for running Windows and OS-X at the same time on the Intel Macs.

And this is the reason that Apple is poised to take a significantly bigger chunk of the PC market. You can go buy another PC with the horsepower needed to run Vista, or you can buy a new Mac, run all of your existing PC apps with your licensed version of Windows, and enjoy the benefits of the Mac as well. This is validated in current purchasing statistics, with 50% of all Mac sales from former PC users who have never owned a Mac.

For Vista to have a positive impact for Microsoft, it will need to be bulletproof - which it is not - and do a much better job dealing with the continuous attacks on MS product. Time will tell...