[opendtv] Re: Nine ways Apple, Inc. just changed the landscape of consumer electronics

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:59:30 -0500

I'm sure John W. is fully capable of defending his own positions, but to be fair, I think John's point has always been that there is no market from the commercial broadcaster's point of view for mobile video.

There clearly is a market for mobile video devices, with the money made in selling the hardware and subscriptions to the content. There is no market for a broadcaster to create a stand alone mobile-only advertiser supported service.

On one level I can agree with John, but on another level I have to believe that in the long run more mobile video appliances would have been sold if we had an OTA digital transmission system that more easily supported mobile applications, even if not optimized for mobile.

Say what you will, but DVB-T can support less than perfect mobile reception as is, without any bitrate hits via tricks like HM-COFDM or interspersing DVB-H bits within a DVB-T transmission. ATSC cannot be received mobily, and therefore must have an exclusive mobile-only bit robbing solution like A-VSB or E-VSB.

I know from our own station how much more reluctant we are to lease bits to PBS National Datacast knowing that it comes out of our useful payload than we were in leasing vertical interval space in our NTSC which was wasted anyway. We would be equally reluctant to rob two 'normal' bits to transmit one 'mobile' bit to practically nobody. That is why I am fairly certain that A-VSB will fail in the marketplace no matter how well it may work.

John S.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

John W. thinks mobile video is DOA.