[opendtv] Re: News: WirelessHD Consortium

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:40:04 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> This could be the ultimate disruptive tech for all
> telecommunications and broadcasting IMO. If it is what
> I think it is. Not talking getting rid of cables in
> the home either.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193500509

What?

I've come to view with great skepticism any mention of "disruptive
technology." It seems to be the prelude for senseless hype.

This scheme, at 60 GHz, is just another short range in-room link, which
made me wonder why they don't just use UWB instead. It's just another 10
meter system. The high frequency provides wide bandwidth but also sees
just about anything as an obstacle.