[opendtv] Re: News: WirelessHD Consortium

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 15:26:39 -0500

Line of sight yes but I don't think bird fade is an issue, more like
window washer fade. The beam is spread near the transmitter and
receiver. At low cost you could envision all nodes having multiple
transceivers with each being full duplex backups of each other. A
meshy redundant network

Microburst in thunderstorms are the biggest problem. We had a very bad
storm, record breaker as I remember, with microburst in Manhattan
during our test. It had no affect but the distance was under a
kilometer.

Cost was/is another major factor but list price on a 2 kilometer set
of radios is now $20,000 and if you buy a few it can fall very fast.
$30-35,000 on 80-90 GHz. What is most exciting about this new venture
is the possibility of major price reductions for key parts.

The cost problem has always been a vision problem. Someone has to have
a vision for a mass market to make the silicon that would lower cost
by major factors. These guys must be thinking that way.

Bob Miller

On 11/1/06, Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:
> Not so for 60 GHz which can cover a lot of ground from indoor networks
> to last mile.
Tremendously high frequencies for last-mile applications have been
available for a long time.  At IBC this year, Fuji Television showed off
a 120 GHz link with a range of about 2 km.  Unfortunately, such systems
have similar problems to optical links like the Canobeam; they are
restricted to line of sight and are subject to bird fade.

The interesting (and challenging) thing about the proposed WirelessHD is
how they get around the line-of-sight issues with smart antennas.
Multiple beams crisscrossing the room and bouncing off walls?  I look
forward to learning more.

TTFN,
Mark