[opendtv] Re: News: WirelessHD Consortium

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 14:39:16 -0500

Maybe I have argued that licensing didn't help prevent interference.
Don't remember the issue or context. I argued against the licensing of
70-90 GHz licenses because I thought that the issue of interference
was not a big problem. The beam is so narrow it is unlikely that
others will need the same space. 70-90 GHz though, does spill past the
target and I think that is the reason they have licensing. 60 GHz dies
in Oxygen at short distances so there is less chance of it
interfering. I don't know where in that last post of mine you got that
I believed that licensing helps prevent interference. That info is
just not there. But it seems obvious to me that in many instances
licensing with its implied enforcement can be used to prevent
interference.

Yes I know that no one owns spectrum. Now lets tell broadcasters that.

Lease or own is more and more just semantics. I own a Co-op but cannot
sell it to who I want to, can't sell it for what I want to, can't
sublease it to who I want or for how long I wish. BTW this is all
about to change. More and more of what we "own" is so circumscribed by
conditions that it is ownership by definition of the IRS and for the
IRS only.

I would suggest that the lease that broadcasters have on their
spectrum is more nearly ownership than the deed on most homes or land
in this country. It would be easier to take away a home or land from
an individual by a governmental agency than for all of Congress to
take away any broadcast spectrum IMO. So who is the owner?

When someone who has a lease on broadcast spectrum says they own it
they are more right as to the true understanding of their situation
than if they said they had a lease IMO.

The government creates both of these abstract ideas, lease and own,
and neither exist without government's continued support.

Bob Miller

On 11/7/06, John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So, you are now of the belief that licensing helps prevent interference?  That wasn't
always your position in this thread.  You even said something about "spectrum I
don't own."  Nobody owns spectrum, they just use it as a public trustee subject to
the communications Act.  Or, do you think I am wrong about that (for the moment) too (but
you'll change your argument or position if confronted?)

You were talking about "proof of concept."  That sounds high-faluting, when you were
really referring to a lower rung on the price curve.  Maybe "concept" doesn't mean to you
what it's always meant to me.

Good luck with the cost issue.

nothing to do with the consortium's proposal, except that it uses similar frequencies.

>> I guess you lost the concept that FM uses licensed spectrum and suffers only
minimal interference, and that CB uses unlicensed spectrum and is full of
interference.

>> And, that there is a world of difference between enjoying 60ghz in your home
on an unlicensed and minimally interfering basis, and trying to get a 60-ghz signal
to travel up to 1.2 miles reliably without the protection of a license that gives you
more protection from interference.

>> I would point out that in the higher frequency bands, what is unlicensed
today today tends to become licensed tomorrow (above 100 mw)

>> John Willkie

spectrum to send signals over distance.