[opendtv] Re: News: Video board approves Apple-supported codecs

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:00:14 -0500

> Not true. Apple has indicated that they do not see a market for a
> portable video player at this time. They NEVER said anything about
> photos. Clearly video will happen when the component technologies
> reach appropriate price points. But I do agree with Jobs that a
> device like the iPOD is not going to be a good video player.

Their SoC provider is moving in that direction -
http://www.portalplayer.com/news-and-events/photo_jukebox.htm

Component price points for video are already here (one listed below).
Form factor is the problem (the portable media centers that weigh 20
pounds and are the size of a mack truck in my pocket are not what people
want - and whats that xp-like desktop image in the background behind the
start menu about?!).

As for photos - every digital camera I have ever owned has come with a
screen as big as if not larger than the photo ipod. I honestly see no
advantage to carrying around a photo ipod. My camera already does all of
that and more.

> My digital camera also captures video clips. I can watch them on the
> tiny 2" display, but that is NOT what the video capture mode is
> intended for. I watch these clips AFTER importing them to my computer.

No disagreement there -- isn't it obvious that the form factor and
screen size of the iPod would have to change for their next generation?
The 2" display is already cutting it very fine even for viewing photos.
Although having said that, the Archos GMINI 400 plays video on its tiny
screen and it is selling in truckloads (although it also has video out)
- http://portableaudio.engadget.com/entry/6213210442242855/ or ipod?
Methinks the latter.

> Want to by a Rolex?

An imitation Rolex attempts to provide only the features of a real
Rolex. Not so with these cheapo players. Besides, Rolexes are so tired -
binary LED watches are where its at :-)

Cheers
Kon