[opendtv] Re: News: Video board approves Apple-supported codecs

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:22:15 -0500

At 7:00 PM -0500 11/23/04, Kon Wilms wrote:
>You'd better believe it. Almost a year ago Apple put out a press release
>saying they would never do a video or photo iPod and would never stray
>from their core audience. That must be why they have the photo iPod out
>and rumors of a video iPod circulate. Other companies like Creative Labs
>(#2) have gone so far as to make it known that their intent is to
>dethrone the iPod. When WalMart starts carrying those cheap chinese iPod
>ripoffs at a fraction of the cost you watch the numbers turn around.
>Wall street technology analysts.. yeah.. their worth was proven in the
>dot com era... not.

Not true. Apple has indicated that they do not see a market for a
portable video player at this time. They NEVER said anything about
photos. Clearly video will happen when the component technologies
reach appropriate price points. But I do agree with Jobs that a
device like the iPOD is not going to be a good video player.

My digital camera also captures video clips. I can watch them on the
tiny 2" display, but that is NOT what the video capture mode is
intended for. I watch these clips AFTER importing them to my computer.

I am not worried about knock-offs.

Want to by a Rolex?

;-)