[opendtv] Re: News: Video board approves Apple-supported codecs

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:33:06 -0500

At 11:57 AM -0500 11/23/04, Kon Wilms wrote:
>And the iPod is pretty much all you are going to use with that codec.
>Have a look through this site: http://www.dapreview.net/news.php - you
>may (or may not) be shocked to see the sheer onslaught of cheap ipod
>ripoffs heading to our shores. The iPod has a limited lifespan, if you
>ask me. Many of these are better at a cheaper price (640x400
>touchscreens, fm tuners, CF readers, support for a dozen codecs, etc.)
>OFcourse I thoroughly suspect that the american public will continue to
>make uninformed buying decisions long after these products arrive on our
>shores.

I guess this explains why Apple is on track to ship 4 MILLION iPods
this quarter, which in turn is part of the reason that two analysts
raised their expectations for Apple stock, resulting in the highest
Apple stock price since it split shortly after jobs returned.

Apparently you do not understand much about branding and consumer
market trends.

Ther HAVE been plenty of cheap knock-off products ever since Apple
introduced the iPod. Apparently, this has not been much of a factor
since Apple has better than 70% market share.

Could it be that Apple is offering something more than just a
portable music player?

Could it have something to do with the fact that the iPod is just one
component of Apple's Digital Lifestyles strategy?

Could it be that when traditional PC users get an iPOD and iTunes for
the PC, they begin to understand that Apple provides an improved user
experience, even on the PC platform?

Could it be that this peeks curiosity about what it is like to
actually own a Mac, which in turn is resulting in a rapidly
increasing number of former PC owners purchasing a Mac?

Sometimes Kon, people pay a small premium for better products. As I
recall Sony virtually owned the market for Walkman appliances...until
the iPOD.

>>  of the personal computing revolution. QuickTime can EASILY be used at
>>  the core of the digital home entertainment systems of the future. It
>>  already runs across the MacOS, Windows, Unix, Linux, Solaris and
>>  Irix. Consumer Electronics products like Set-top boxes are a logical
>>  extension.
>
>You must be confusing Helix player with Quicktime player on these other
>platforms (everything other than mac and windows). Its a crying shame
>when your Linux player has to wrapper a windows DLL to play the latest
>and greatest quicktime file.

I may have been incorrect about Linux support. Let's just say that
there are some work-around solutions for Linux today, and that
QuickTime can be ported to any UNIX kernel with a little effort.