[opendtv] Re: News: The death of Cable TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 16:30:24 -0500

Dan Grimes wrote:

> But the media from Google TV is very different than from
> an ATSC tuner, even if many of the programs are the same.
> The ATSC tuner receives the linear and local programming
> while the Google TV portion accesses programming in a VOD
> manner.

Well, you know Dan, as one who has been watching just about everything "on
demand" for ... decades, I don't see all that much difference. Yes, I make a
conscious "effort" to set up the recorder. If I had a TiVo, I wouldn't even
need to do that!

Take the NYC Cablevision subscriber who's hooked on House. Instead of missing
it during the squabbles, he could have recorded it on a TiVo or other PVR. And
imagine what would happen if a reasonable percentage of people started doing
this on a regular basis.