[opendtv] Re: News: The death of Cable TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 16:05:04 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Internet TV, via an ISP and via "anointed web sites" hard-coded into
> TV sets, is clearly headed to the MVPD model we already know. OTA TV
> remains different from this. It's simple.
>
> How is the existence of multiple providers of video services via the
> Internet any different than multiple stations via DTV?

First, because the appliance makers are trying top limit the user to one or
very few gatekeepers. And second, because there's always that ISP umbillical
lurking in the background.

A better question to ask is how this differs from MVPD service, aside from the
potential for more choice.

> It is true, as Kon described, that some of these devices (Google
> enabled TVs, Apple TV, etc.) have app stores for which they act as
> gatekeepers. But they all are working with multiple content providers
> - YouTube, Netflix, etc. - and this list is likely to grow as these
> ecosystems mature.

As MVPDs also act as gatekeepers for many content providers. It seems
inescapable that the same issues will emerge, as the current Fox/Cablevision
debacle.

Note what the article I posted just now says about the possibility of an ATSC
receiver in future Google TV STBs. Chuckle.