[opendtv] Re: News: The death of Cable TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 14:26:38 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> But what did the article say about the possibility of an ATSC
> receiver in future Google TV products?
>
> It said that the tuner is already there - mandated by law - but
> that consumers don't use them, even when a congloms pulls their
> signals.

Did you invent this, Craig?

Here is what the article said:

"In-Stat suggests if the next generation of Google TV devices includes an ATSC
tuner and digital recording capabilities, 'that solves the blocking problem.'
By law, however, the Sony HD sets have ATSC tuners, so that's not the issue.
The recent retransmission dispute between Fox and Cablevision is an object
lesson."

First point: no, Google boxes do not have ATSC tuners. They are Internet
appliances, not TV receiver appliances, so there's nothing to mandate an ATSC
tuner.

Aside from that, what is that paragraph really saying?

If you have a Sony TV, for example, that cuts out Fox programming from (a) the
Cablevision "broadcast" TV spectrum you are subscribe to, and (b) the
Cablevision Internet broadband pipe you are also subscribed to, can you please
explain to me how that can prevent the Sony TV set from receiving Fox as an
ATSC broadcast?

The only way your Sony TV can possibly have the Fox OTA signal blocked is for
*Sony* to create that filter. Fox cannot do this on transmission, as ATSC and
DVB-T are defined.