[opendtv] Re: News: The death of Cable TV

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 10:58:58 -0700

Bert Wrote:
"If you have a Sony TV, for example, that cuts out Fox programming from (a)
the Cablevision "broadcast" TV spectrum you are subscribe to, and (b) the
Cablevision Internet broadband pipe you are also subscribed to, can you
please explain to me how that can prevent the Sony TV set from receiving
Fox as an ATSC broadcast?"

Craig responded:

"DUH. Yes you can use the integrated TV tuner to view the Fox OTA
broadcast. That was the point the author was making. The object lesson was
that most consumers DID NOT want to go to the trouble to put up an antenna
so they could use the integrated tuner."

But the media from Google TV is very different than from an ATSC tuner,
even if many of the programs are the same.  The ATSC tuner receives the
linear and local programming while the Google TV portion accesses
programming in a VOD manner.  So I don't think it is really fair to say
that the ATSC tuner is a direct replacement for what would be received
through Google TV.  In fact, I think both have their place and should be
used for (not necessarily in) the modern TV.

Dan