[opendtv] Re: News: The death of Cable TV

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 18:36:40 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> There is no Google TV site...

Okay fine. This doesn't change anything of significance here. There is Google
hardware/software loaded onto TV appliances, which can be TV sets or STBs or
DVD players, which becomes an intermediary for this appliance to get to
Internet content. An intermediary, the thing between your box and the Internet,
through which your Internet content is funnelled. Do I need to have the CE
manufacturer impede my access with this intermediary?

> Yet.
>
> Hulu blocks access to TVs with integrated Google TV hardware/software.
> They are demanding that Google create a portal (a Google TV site) and
> charge people who purchase a TV with Google TV hardware software to
> access the same content that they can access via the Hulu site for
> free from a PC.

Which I already explained, going from info in an article I posted. The
explanation is clear, the congloms are doing nothing particularly odd or unfair.

Any of the congloms that put their stuff on Hulu or anywhere else can decide to
block their stuff from getting to the Google-impeded sets, because they intend
for that stuff to only go to PCs. So the bottleneck here is Google, not the
conglom.

The interesting part of all of this, for me, is that it looks like a good many
of the new HP laptops have Windows 7 and HDMI outputs. So this is where I'll be
doing my investigations for this year's Santa Claus wish list. Rather than let
the CE companies tie my hands.