[opendtv] Re: News: The Internet revolution is about to be televised

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:20:04 -0500

At 4:01 PM -0600 2/28/05, John McClenny wrote:
>I was in a meeting last week with some cableish vendors and they were
>talking about the MSOs moving to a (not the right technical name )
>switched video delivery nearer the edge.  Basically IP multicast with
>RF channel multiplexing instead of a shared Ethernet network.  They
>said that the MSOs were starting to deploy this and that it is an
>intermediate step toward full IP network.  I hadn't heard of this
>functionality before.
>
>This makes an IPTV and a MSO network look just about the same from an
>application perspective.

For current multi-channel TV services this is largely true. The major
differences occur at the neighborhood level. It is important to note
that there are greater advantage to cable systems to move the routing
closer to the edge than for IPTV systems.

It is going to be EXPENSIVE for the cable guys to migrate from
hundreds of subscribers per loop to the end game of 25-50 subscribers
per loop. Any interim technique that allows them to serve more
subscribers per loop can be a significant cost savings. Thus moving
to switched IP multicast near the edge is an effective way to deliver
more unique channels to the neighborhood, rather than tying up more 6
MHz channels for content that only a few homes may want to view.

It is the  the process of migrating to much smaller local loops that
will make cable system look more like IPTV systems, as more and more
of the traffic will be routed rather than broadcast.