[opendtv] Re: News: FCC's Martin Floats Leased Multicast Must-Carry Proposal

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:46:37 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> I look at this as just another run at MMC, under different
> clothing.

I view it as the FCC telling the broadcasters the obvious. Which is, if
you guys don't need your subchannel capacity, think about making it
available to other would-be broadcasters. How else should the FCC try to
promote the effective use of the TV OTA spectrum?

The unfortunate thing in all of this is only that the completely
peripheral (to me) question of must-carry rights becomes involved, which
has a way of making everything difficult when it should be simple. Why
wouldn't a station try to get as many eyeballs as possible, by offering
more streams? Make these new programs good and the cable companies will
come asking for retrans consent.

Anyway, in Gainesville, I think you guys already have something like
this going on, right? Where ABC and someone else carry CW and MNT as
their multicasts? Maybe that shows some glimmer of hope that this sort
of thing can happen.