[opendtv] Re: News: FCC's Martin Floats Leased Multicast Must-Carry Proposal

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 06:58:30 -0500

At 9:14 PM -0500 3/1/07, Tom Barry wrote:
Okay, I think you are saying you would pay zero each for local and national but you are currently paying $5. ;-)

I was trying to unbundle the two. Right now I think we can assume you are willing to pay $5 for both for the convenience and reception of cable, since you are doing it.

But, if it was truly somehow (imagine) a la carte, how much would each be worth. I watch very little local news, traffic or weather. But I would turn it on if something very interesting was happening locally.

Traffic I don't bother with and weather is more convenient on the Internet. Traffic might be also (dunno) but I live 2 miles from the office.

So I'm guessing I'd pay most of that $5 ($4 in Gainesville I think) for the national network content and not any more at all for the locals since I can get them OTA and infrequently need them.

Anybody feel differently? Again, imagine it a la carte.

A very interesting premise posed by Mark A.

Clearly, the Red meat programming comes from the networks.

Next in line are the more popular syndicated programs that may appear on any local station regardless of their network affiliation - if you are addicted to Oprah or Dr. Phil, then you may need the "local" content from one or more stations.

And probably last, is local news and public affairs programming. Typically most viewers, if they watch this stuff, are faithful to one local station. Here in Gainesville there is only one 'local" news operation, so it would most likely get the nod.

Like Tom, I rely on the Internet for most of the stuff that originates locally - I don't watch the syndicated shows at all.

Now imagine what would happen if you could subscribe to the shows you watch and have them downloaded via the Internet...