[opendtv] Re: News: FCC's Martin Floats Leased Multicast Must-Carry Proposal

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 21:22:04 -0800

What weird form of elocution and economics, Tom, leads you to form such a
paragraph as this?

> That may be true, but only because broadcasters base a channels value
> upon getting it carried on cable.  I don't think it is possible to
> compete with cable if you depend upon them (and sat) for 85%+ of your
> distribution.  I can see why some think it is hardly worth the
> electricity to power antennas anymore.

Broadcasters base a channel simply on how many people watch -- that is, how
valuable the service is for viewers.  If they're commercial broadcasters,
they might also base the value on the demographic makeup of the audience.

TV broadcasters don't compete with cable, Tom.  Cable is in the business of
selling monthly electronic services on a subscription basis.  They don't
create any television programming of note, and little tv programming of any
kind is created by them.  Almost as an afterthought, they sell spots on many
of their national networks.  Many of those spots are actually used these
days to sell subscription offerings of the cable company.

Broadcasters sell commercial time and 'enhanced underwriting' which are sold
to firms and wealthy individuals.  They produce and distribute -- usually
pursuant to exclusive agreements -- television programs.  Television
stations sell little or nothing at retail.

Maybe you have trouble with the term 'competition?'  Cable firms think
they're in the TV business, but they're in the copper or fiber business.

John Willkie